Smell Gas? Telephone 0800 111 999
Remember that the degree of smell is no indication of the seriousness of a gas escape. If you can smell gas or suspect a leak you MUST do the following:-
- Turn off the gas supply immediately at the meter control valve or emergency control valve. Look near the meter or where the gas supply enters the building. For LPG turn off the bottles or for bulk tanks locate the valve on the outside of the building near where the pipe enters.
- Extinguish all sources of ignition
- Do not smoke
- Do not operate electric light or power switches (ON or OFF) as the small spark inside the switch may be enough to ignite the gas.
- Ventilate the building by opening doors and windows
- Ensure access to the premises can be made
- Call 0800 111 999 to report the escape to the National Gas Emergency Service
- Call us 01239 613423 - we will always respond as quickly as possible to gas emergencies, and you will need a Gas Safe engineer to fix the leak and reinstate your supply.
- Make sure you keep gas appliances serviced regularly - that means EVERY YEAR!
Leaking oil? We can help
Oil spills and leaks are not as inherently dangerous as gas; Kerosene at room temperatures usually requires the application of a naked flame to ignite it.
However spills can have severe environmental consequences and pollution of watercourses, streams and rivers can result in heavy fines. Avoid contact with your skin if possible.
If you find an oil leak.
- Turn off the supply at the isolating valve on the oil tank.
- Mop up spills with sand, earth, cloths or any absorbent material.
- If the leak is in the oil tank - try to collect as much as possible into cans, buckets etc.
- If the leak is severe, try to form a dam with sand or earth until help arrives.
- Phone the Fire Brigade if you cannot cope and pollution of a watercourse is possible.
- Phone your installer or your oil supply company to get the tank pumped out.
We have a spare tank on a trailer and a pump to transfer oil from a leaking tank and back into a replacement with the minimum of bother.
DO check the tank, gauge and oil pipe work regularly, and get any weeps and drips sorted out before they turn into disasters
Our fully Gas Safe certified engineers all speak both Welsh and English. If you've got a problem with your oil or gas, call 01239 613 423 now for advice.